Tuesday 15 August 2017

Tools

One or two people have asked me about the tool kit I'm carrying.  Here's a more or less complete itemisation of what I have.  It's all carried in a Kriega Tool roll.

This is what I use for all of my work on the bike, so I know it's a complete set and I have the right size sockets and bits (and no extras).

Tools
From Right to Left:
  • Selection of hex-heads, including the Torx bits I need for my bike, Cross Head and Flat Head screwdriver bits, and allen heads.  These fit in a bit holder for the T-Piece as well as the Bosch Mini Ratchet.  I have PH1 & PH2 cross-head, a hex-square (1/4") adaptor, sizes 3, 4, 5, & 6 allen heads, T20, T25, T30, T40 torx heads, and size 4 & 6 flat heads.
  • Motion-Pro 27mm to 3/8" socket-drive convertor and a 19mm socket
  • Knipex SW-35 180mm Pliers Wrench.  These are worth their weight in gold, and vastly superior to all imitators!
  • Some zip-ties
  • MotionPro Ergo Spoke Wrench 7.0mm
  • Fuse Puller
  • Wera Zyklop 1/4" ratchet drive.  Again, not worth getting cheaper imitators.
  • Motion-Pro 19mm Spark Plug Socket and extension
  • Sockets: 8mm, 10mm, 13mm, 14mm (and the 19mm already mentioned)
  • Extension Handle from MotionPro Chain Tool, with a T50 Torx Bit inside (it's the bigger hex size).  Works as a 1/4" square to hex convertor.
  • Bulb-type circuit tester
  • Motion-Pro Mini-Pro Tri-Drive T-Handle.  I use this all the time.  Each end is a 1/4" square drive, so you can fit any bit to it.
  • Bosch mini hex-ratchet, and extension drive (used for fiddly bits where t-handle won't reach - obviously, the ratchet mechanism isn't as strong as the proper drive, so only for light torque like body-panel pieces)
  • MotionPro Chain Tool
Then in the zip bag section there is:
  • More zip ties
  • Stop-leak radiator powder
  • Some liquid metal type putty
  • Radiator hose high-temperature tape
  • Spare link and spare connecting link for chain
  • Wiring from the bulb-tester
  • Side-stand removal dongle which I haven't fitted yet, but will if the switch cops it in another fall!
  • The other gubbins for the chain tool
  • Spare valve cap
  • Spare valve core remover (the other one is fitted to the front wheel as a valve cap)
  • The elastic band thingummy Husqvarna supply with the bike for keeping the side-stand up, but is actually for the 501 and smaller bikes.  In case the side stand spring snaps.
Other tools I carry are in my puncture repair kit.  That consists of:
  • Three MotionPro Combi Tyre Levers.  27mm (axle nuts); 12/13mm (rim-lock/valve-stem bolts); 24mm (front sprocket)
  • Patch kit
  • Spare standard-duty front tube.  After this day, I'll now always carry two, if I'm running un-patchable UHDs in the front tyre.  At the moment my front tyre is a standard duty though, and the shop in Ventimiglia only had one tube, so I'll survive.
  • Lezyne Pressure Drive CFH Pump.  This also takes CO2.
  • But most of the time, I use my Rocky Creek Tyre Compressor with guage, which is in a pannier.
NB: Important note - make sure you seal the stop-leak in several plastic bags.  Someone I know well didn't, and I still haven't removed all the contents of the last pot from the nooks and crannies of my tool roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment